Data Contract Condition Language for:
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
sorted by Category and Condition
May 26, 2015, 9:50 am
Cannot merge new files w/o amendment
10. The User agrees that, absent express written authorization from the appropriate System Manager or the person designated in section 20 of this Agreement to do so, the User shall not attempt to link records included in the file(s) specified in section 5 to any other individually identifiable source of information. This includes attempts to link the data to other CMS data file(s). A protocol that includes the linkage of specific files that has been approved in accordance with section 4 constitutes express authorization from CMS to link files as described in the protocol.
No redistribution of data
The User agrees not to disclose, use or reuse the data covered by this agreement except as specified in an Attachment to this Agreement or except as CMS shall authorize in writing or as otherwise required by law, sell, rent, lease, loan, or otherwise grant access to the data covered by this Agreement.
Only minimum necessary data
4. The User agrees that, within the User organization and the organizations of its agents, access to the data covered by this Agreement shall be limited to the minimum amount of data and minimum number of individuals necessary to achieve the purpose stated in this section (i.e., individual's access to the data will be on a need-to-know basis).
Stick to original research plan
4. The User represents, and in furnishing the data file(s) specified in section 5 CMS relies upon such representation, that such data file(s) will be used solely for the following purpose(s).
The User represents further that the facts and statements made in any study or research protocol or project plan submitted to CMS for each purpose are complete and accurate.
11. The User understands and agrees that they may not reuse original or derivative data file(s) without prior written approval from the appropriate System Manager or the person designated in section 20 of this Agreement
Inspections & Penalties
14. The User hereby acknowledges that criminal penalties under 1106(a) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1306(a)), including a fine not exceeding $10,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 5 years, or both, may apply to disclosures of information that are covered by 1106 and that are not authorized by regulation or by Federal law. The User further acknowledges that criminal penalties under the Privacy Act (5 U.S.C. 552a(i) (3)) may apply if it is determined that the Requestor or Custodian, or any individual employed or affiliated therewith, knowingly and willfully obtained the file(s) under false pretenses. Any person found to have violated sec. (i)(3) of the Privacy Act shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and fined not more than $5,000. Finally, the User acknowledges that criminal penalties may be imposed under 18 U.S.C. 641 if it is determined that the User, or any individual employed or affiliated therewith, has taken or converted to his own use data file(s), or received the file(s) knowing that they were stolen or converted. Under such circumstances, they shall be fined under Title 18 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both; but if the value of such property does not exceed the sum of $1,000, they shall be fined under Title 18 or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
Inspections & Penalties
Site Inspections can/will occur
8. The User agrees to grant access to the data to the authorized representatives of CMS or DHHS Office of the Inspector General at the site indicated in section 17 for the purpose of inspecting to confirm compliance with the terms of this agreement.
9. The User agrees not to disclose direct findings, listings, or information derived from the file(s) specified in section 5, with or without direct identifiers, if such findings, listings, or information can, by themselves or in combination with other data, be used to deduce an individual's identity. Examples of such data elements include, but are not limited to geographic location, age if > 89, sex, diagnosis and procedure, admission/discharge date(s), or date of death.
The User agrees that any use of CMS data in the creation of any document (manuscript, table, chart, study, report, etc.) concerning the purpose specified in section 4 (regardless of whether the report or other writing expressly refers to such purpose, to CMS, or to the files specified in section 5 or any data derived from such files) must adhere to CMS' current cell size suppression policy. This policy stipulates that no cell (eg. admittances, discharges, patients) less than 11 may be displayed. Also, no use of percentages or other mathematical formulas may be used if they result in the display of a cell less than 11. By signing this Agreement you hereby agree to abide by these rules and, therefore, will not be required to submit any written documents for CMS review. If you are unsure if you meet the above criteria, you may submit your written products for CMS review. CMS agrees to make a determination about approval and to notify the user within 4 to 6 weeks after receipt of findings. CMS may withhold approval for publication only if it determines that the format in which data are presented may result in identification of individual beneficiaries.
13. The User agrees that in the event CMS determines or has a reasonable belief that the User has made or may have made a use, reuse or disclosure of the aforesaid file(s) that is not authorized by this Agreement or another written authorization from the appropriate System Manager or the person designated in section 20 of this Agreement, CMS, at its sole discretion, may require the User to: (a) promptly investigate and report to CMS the User's determinations regarding any alleged or actual unauthorized use, reuse or disclosure, (b) promptly resolve any problems identified by the investigation; (c) if requested by CMS, submit a formal response to an allegation of unauthorized use, reuse or disclosure; (d) if requested by CMS, submit a corrective action plan with steps designed to prevent any future unauthorized uses, reuses or disclosures; and (e) if requested by CMS, return data files to CMS or destroy the data files it received from CMS under this agreement. The User understands that as a result of CMS's determination or reasonable belief that unauthorized uses, reuses or disclosures have taken place, CMS may refuse to release further CMS data to the User for a period of time to be determined by CMS.
The User agrees to report any breach of personally identifiable information (PII) from the CMS data file(s), loss of these data or disclosure to any unauthorized persons to the CMS Action Desk by telephone at (410) 786-2850 or by e-mail notification at firstname.lastname@example.org within one hour and to cooperate fully in the federal security incident process. While CMS retains all ownership rights to the data file(s), as outlined above, the User shall bear the cost and liability for any breaches of PII from the data file(s) while they are entrusted to the User. Furthermore, if CMS determines that the risk of harm requires notification of affected individual persons of the security breach and/or other remedies, the User agrees to carry out these remedies without cost to CMS.
Administrative fee for data
CMS agrees to provide the User with data that reside in a CMS Privacy Act System of Records as identified in this Agreement. In exchange, the User agrees to pay any applicable fees
Amendments require UM signature
Expiration: Date or Length in DUA
6. The parties mutually agree that the aforesaid file(s) (and/or any derivative file(s)) including those files that directly identify individuals and those that can be used in concert with other information to identify individuals may be retained by the User until, (enter date) hereinafter known as the "Retention Date."
Removal of Personnel on contract
6. The parties mutually agree that the aforesaid file(s) (and/or any derivative file(s)) including those files that directly identify individuals and those that can be used in concert with other information to identify individuals may be retained by the User until, (enter date) hereinafter known as the "Retention Date." The User agrees to notify CMS within 30 days of the completion of the purpose specified in section 4 if the purpose is completed before the aforementioned retention date. Upon such notice or retention date, whichever occurs sooner, the User agrees to destroy such data. The User agrees to destroy and send written certification of the destruction of the files to CMS within 30 days. The User agrees not to retain CMS files or any parts thereof, after the aforementioned file(s) are destroyed unless the appropriate Systems Manager or the person designated in section 20 of this Agreement grants written authorization. The User acknowledges that the date is not contingent upon action by CMS.
The Agreement may be terminated by either party at any time for any reason upon 30 days written notice. Upon notice of termination by User, CMS will cease releasing data from the file(s) to the User under this Agreement and will notify the User to destroy such data files(s). Sections 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13,14 and 15 shall survive termination of this agreement.