Yan Fu, 2014 ISR, 763-2152
Lee Ridley, 2104 ISR, 763-2133
Online Presence, Access, Citations and Impact
Online tools for research communications, collaborations and dissemination have witnessed rapid expansion in the recent years. There are many benefits to make use of the resources and actively manage your online presence. Funding agencies have been emphasizing research results dissemination efforts. We outline some of the digital tools and platforms that can improve public access to your research products and facilitate sharing and collaborations.
Managing Profiles and Facilitate Dissemination
- Set up a Google Scholar profile (Example, How to)
Manage your presence on Google Scholar. Pull together all your publications in one place with citation data. Show whom you are collaborating with. Allow others to follow your articles or citations easily.
- Register for ORCID iD (Example, UM ORCID Initiative)
Open Researcher & Contributor ID (ORCID) provides a persistent digital identifier that distinguishes you from every other researcher. NIH encourages the adoption of ORCID for reducing name ambiguity and easy identification of research output.
- Use SciENcv from MyNCBI for NIH Biosketches (Example, How to)
Eliminate the need to repeatedly enter biosketch information. Enables researchers to easily maintain and generate biosketches for federal grant applications and progress reports.
- Academia.edu (ISR, Sociology examples)
Similar to ResearchGate. There are about 2000 UM faculty registered.
- Michigan Experts (Example)
A directory of faculty research expertise that assists in building collaborative teams and productive research relationships and enables networking beyond one’s immediate peer group. Current participating units include Medical School, School of Public Health, Life Science Institute, College of Engineering.
- Profile pages and publications list on the web
Keep updated your research interests and publications list on your personal, project based and department website.
- Deposit your papers in institutional repositories such as Deep Blue
Deep Blue makes your work more accessible and assures the stability of your work's location online.
- Deposit NIH funded papers in PubMed Central and check the completeness of research results in NIH RePORTER. (see NIH publication reporting)
Citation Data Tools