Mo Ibrahim Foundation launches the 2010 Ibrahim Index of African Governance
The 2010 Ibrahim Index shows recent gains in many countries in human and economic development but declines in political rights, personal safety and the rule of law.
The Ibrahim Index:
* Measures the delivery of public goods and services to citizens by government and nonstate actors
* Uses indicators across four main categories: Safety and Rule of Law; Participation and Human Rights; Sustainable Economic Opportunity; and Human Development as proxies for the quality of the processes and outcomes of governance
* Is the most comprehensive collection of qualitative and quantitative data that assess governance in Africa
* Is funded and led by an African institution
* Is a progressive and consultative assessment of governance