Monday, Dec 9
Sharon Kardia: Genomics in the Health & Retirement Study
a PSC Research Project
Investigator: Dean Yang
This paper will have two objectives: 1) to provide a synthesis of the economic impacts of migration, and 2) to provide a framework for thinking about potential innovations to improve the social impacts of migration.
In particular, the paper will cover the following topics:
Economic impacts of migration
This section will review the relationship between international migration and economic outcomes in migrant source and host countries. Throughout, the review will highlight knowledge gaps that need to be filled with further research.
1. The factors that drive migration from developing to developed countries.
2. The impact of international migration and remittances on the economic and human development of migrants? source countries.
3. The impact of international migration on economic outcomes in host countries.
Framework for innovations in migration policy
This section of the paper will provide a framework for thinking about policies that could help raise the development impact of migration and remittances. It will review the limited evidence on innovative policies that currently exists and outline high-potential areas for further experimentation and research. Topical areas of coverage include:
1. Innovations in financial services for migrants, focusing on remittances but also including other financial services such as savings, credit, and insurance.
2. Policy reforms in migrant source countries, such as migrant worker minimum wage policies, information campaigns, recruitment monitoring, and voting rights.
3. Interventions in migrant host countries such as worker protection, legalization, and financial literacy efforts.
Funding Period: 05/01/2012 to 07/31/2012