AIDS and the Elderly of Thailand: Projecting Familial Impacts

Publication Abstract

PDF Wachter, Kenneth W., John E. Knodel, and Mark VanLandingham. "AIDS and the Elderly of Thailand: Projecting Familial Impacts." PSC Research Report No. 00-446. 5 2000.

We apply computer microsimulation and aggregate demographic analysis to project the numbers of older Thais who will lose children to AIDS during their own lifetimes and to assess involvement with an ill child through caregiving and coresidence. Despite only 2 percent HIV prevalence, 11 percent of Thais over age 50 as of 1995 are likely to experience the loss of at least one adult child to AIDS, and 13 percent of these will lose multiple children. The chance of losing an adult child during one's lifetime will be 76 percent higher than if there were no AIDS epidemic.

Dataset(s): Survey of the Welfare of the Elderly in Thailand, 1995. National Statistical Organization Survey of Elderly in Thailand, 1994. National Statistical Organization Survey of Population Change, Thailand, 1995-1996.

Later Issued As:
Wachter, Kenneth W., John E. Knodel, and Mark VanLandingham. 2002. "AIDS and the Elderly of Thailand: Projecting Familial Impacts." Demography, 39(1): 25-41. DOI. Abstract. Public Access.

Browse | Search | Next

PSC In The News

RSS Feed icon

Shaefer comments on the Cares Act impact in negating hardship during COVID-19 pandemic

Heller comments on lasting safety benefit of youth employment programs

More News

Highlights

Dean Yang's Combatting COVID-19 in Mozambique study releases Round 1 summary report

Help Establish Standard Data Collection Protocols for COVID-19 Research

More Highlights


Connect with PSC follow PSC on Twitter Like PSC on Facebook